NBA star Steph Curry is under fire after a letter he and his wife, Ayesha Curry, wrote to the Atherton leaders goes viral. In the letter, the couple opposes the construction of multi-family affordable housing in their neighborhood over concerns of "safety and privacy." The couple states, "We hesitate to add to the "not in our backyard" (literally) rhetoric, but we wanted to send a note before today's meeting. Safety and privacy for us and our kids continues to be our top priority and one of the biggest reasons we chose Atherton as home."
The issue began when David Arata, the owner of the lot behind the Currys, declared his intention to turn 23 Oakwood Blvd. into 16 three-story townhouses.
![]() |
| Sideyard of 23 Oakwood Blvd. |
![]() |
| Atherton residents wearing shirts with the phrase "Like a good neighbor, 23 Oakwood stays there." Photo by Magali Gauthier |
One local named Stephanie said,"I'm begging him to not do this to our neighborhood...And yes, I'm 'NIMBY,' whatever everybody wants to call me, because it is over my fence, I will have people staring into my yard, into my bedroom window." This plan results from state mandates which require local governments, including Atherton, to fulfill updated housing construction goals every eight years or face consequences such as the loss of crucial funding. The state's Housing and Community Development Department requires local governments to submit a comprehensive plan outlining how they plan to achieve the required housing numbers. The state has imposed stricter demands in response to California's housing crisis compared to previous cycles. In the end, Atherton submitted their plan by the deadline; however, it is expected to be rejected by the state.
Unfortunately for Steph Curry, this debacle has garnered him negative press. The issue at hand is that Steph Curry is a proud vocal Democrat, and Conservative media has been quick to call him out for his not-so-democratic behavior. Ben Wilson's article in The Washington Free Beacon is titled "Lib NBA Star Stephen Curry Opposes Affordable Housing Near His $30 Million Mansion."
![]() |
| The Washington Free Beacon article headline by Ben Wilson |
Wilson's opening line refers to Curry as "NBA superstar and Biden-supporter" that is "opposing low-income multifamily unit next to his $30 million mansion." Wilson points out that in 2021 Curry joined the nonprofit NinetyToZero. The nonprofit aims to bridge the racial wealth gap by providing "a road map for companies and organizations to drive change now, focusing on Black talent and businesses." Curry's letter opposing low-income housing in his neighborhood goes against "bridging the racial wealth gap" since in the Bay Area, 68% of Black residents and 72% of Latino residents fall within the very low-income or low-income categories. Black and Latinos comprise 45% of very low-income families and 31% of low-income families. Wilson goes on to list instances in which Curry was outward with his Democratic ideals that he seems to have failed to live up to in regard to affordable housing.
A Fox News article by Jeffrey Clark titled "Biden-supporter Stephen Curry moves to block ‘low-income housing’ near his $30 million mansion: report" paints Curry in the same light as Ben Wilson did in his article.
![]() |
| Fox News article headline by Jeffrey Clark |
Clark's opening line is almost identical to Wilson's. Clark refers to Curry as "NBA superstar Stephen Curry who publicly endorsed Joe Biden for president in 2020" that "is opposing a "low-income" housing development near his $30 million mansion."
![]() |
| Jeffrey Clark's opening line |
![]() |
| Ben Wilson's opening line |
As of now, the fate of 23 Oakwood Blvd. as affordable housing remains unknown; however, Steph and Ayesha Curry's actions demonstrate the downside of celebrities being vocal about their political stance. When celebrities are vocal about their politics, they soon find themselves under a microscope, and anyone, including the opposing party, can use any mistake to label them hypocrites.
Image Sources:
@cafedujord. 2023. Twitter. January 27, 2023. https://twitter.com/cafedujord/status/1619123291926700032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1619123291926700032%7Ctwgr%5E26a1538bcfdcdc56051c03d487411daf158b0eb2%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.complex.com%2Fsports%2Fsteph-curry-asks-bay-area-suburb-not-to-allow-multi-story-housing.
Clark, Jeffrey. 2023. “Biden-Supporter Stephen Curry Moves to Block ‘Low-Income Housing’ near His $30 Million Mansion: Report.” Fox News. January 31, 2023. https://www.foxnews.com/media/biden-supporter-stephen-curry-moves-block-low-income-housing-near-30-million-mansion-report.
Gilchrist, Karen. 2019. “NBA’s Stephen Curry Says Basketball Remains a Vehicle for Conversation and Progress.” CNBC. December 19, 2019. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/19/nba-golden-state-warriors-steph-curry-basketball-is-a-vehicle-for-debate.html.
Life. 2022. “Ayesha and Steph Curry Are Relationship Goals — See Their Cutest Moments That Prove Love Is Real.” Life & Style. December 9, 2022. https://www.lifeandstylemag.com/posts/ayesha-curry-and-steph-curry-cutest-moments-see-couple-photos/.
Oliveira, Alex. 2023. “Steph Curry Launches Opposition to Housing for the Poor near His Home.” Daily Mail, January 31, 2023. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11693803/Steph-Curry-launches-opposition-housing-poor-near-home.html.
Swartz, Angela. 2023. “Atherton Guts Most of Multifamily Housing from Plan It’s Sending to State.” Almanacnews.com. February 1, 2023. https://www.almanacnews.com/news/2023/02/01/atherton-guts-most-of-multifamily-housing-from-plan-its-sending-to-state.
Wilson, Ben. 2023. “Lib NBA Star Stephen Curry Opposes Affordable Housing near His $30 Million Mansion.” Washington Free Beacon (blog). January 30, 2023. https://freebeacon.com/democrats/lib-nba-star-stephen-curry-opposes-affordable-housing-near-his-30-million-mansion/.
.png)








What I find hilarious about celebrities is that they are quick to endorse political parties and policies but when it comes to their personal interests their interests never align with what they endorse. I don't think celebrities should be looked up to for what political movements they follow. They are not part of the everyday American bracket whose political policies do affect.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
This is such an interesting post! The theme of your blog really puts into perspective how differently celebrities respond to the world around them when they aren't making a public statement. I am not surprised by his reaction, nor would I say it is an unfair one to have. It seemed like he and his family (as well as his community) are simply not willing to compromise the environment that they have built. I don't think they intend to be evil when they say that their safety and security are at risk, and their property value would likely be diminished if their yard backed up to 16 townhomes- these are not risks they are willing to consent to. I do understand that if they really cared they could just buy the property, but I think that their reservations are understandable.
ReplyDeleteI don't see what the issue is with Steph & Ayesha Curry not wanting a community built close to their home. Famous people have difficulty protecting their privacy as is, and having a neighborhood right behind their home without the right security measures can be an issue. Blogs will pay generous amounts for the private and personal moments of celebrities, and this kind of visibility can cause havoc for them as they attempt to live their lives normally. This situation is no different from those in other affluent neighborhoods across town that request to deny businesses like laundry mats or big box stores near them. I comprehend what they are feeling.
ReplyDeleteYou’ve brought up a very interesting topic. I completely understand the Curry’s concern as famous people have to go through more lengths to protect themselves and their family. However, I’m not sure about them completely not wanting the multi-family homes built at all. People need more housing and it seems like that area would’ve been it. I think they should stick to demanding more protection as they said if the division was built.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post I really appreciate you bringing it to our attention. I understand that as a famous couple in the spotlight, the Currys may want privacy for themselves and their children. However, I think the letter is tone-deaf. They have the money to build fences, to move elsewhere, to get security. People need more housing desperately in this area, they acquired enough wealth to buy a 20 million dollar house, they have enough wealth to move to the middle of nowhere where these developments aren't being built. Defintely not a slay for Steph and Ayesha.
ReplyDeleteI can see why they may be hesitant to have this community built so close to their home. For them I thinks it's all about safety and being able to maintain at least a little bit of privacy. I do believe that while the intention may not be there, it definitely comes across that way and people are misconstruing his words to fit their narrative. Does celebrity life guarantee privacy? No, but they should be able to have it if they choose too. I can see if it became a gated community of sorts but I think they might be more worried about the types of things that could potentially go on in that community. It's a harmful statement but he is only looking out for his family.
ReplyDeleteI have mixed feelings about the Curry's actions. At first, I find it comical that he throws himself into politics and is open about his so called "activism" with bridging the racial wealth gap. I do not think this article would have made such a fuss if he wasn't so open about his political standpoint. Ever since he wrote this letter, it almost completely depletes any authenticity about his activism. He is quite literally a stereotypical wealthy NIMBY. On the other hand, I completely understand how much he would want his family to keep having privacy. He's one of the most famous sports stars of our time, so having a townhome complex right in his backyard probably is less than ideal. I just wish that regular people who also don't want their neighborhood messed up could have the same power that the wealthy have.
ReplyDelete